There is no doubt in saying that pontoon boats are one of the best types of boats that provide amazing benefits. These kinds of boats are perfect for people who love to spend quality time with their families.
It comes in a variety of color, size, performance, amenities, and you can easily choose as per your needs and preferences. So if you are in the market for a pontoon boat, then this boat buying guide is very beneficial for you.
In this boat buyers guide, you will get to know how to buy a boat and all the factors that you should consider while buying it. So if this sounds compelling, then stick to this article.
Types Of Pontoon Boats
There are different types of pontoon boats available in the market and to get the best experience, you must choose a boat that suits your needs. So here are some types of pontoon boats:
• Watersports- If you want a pontoon boat to enjoy different kinds of watersports, then you should look for boats that have the higher horsepower.
You should make sure that the motor of your boat has more than 90 horsepower. Otherwise, you won’t get a good water sporting experience because any boat less than this horsepower won’t be able to pull your water toys properly.
• Fishing- If your main priority is fishing, then a boat that is specially made for fishing would be a better option.
For example- if you are going to spend 50% to 70% of the time fishing, then you should go for a cruising or fishing model. On the other hand, if you don’t do fishing that much, then a cruising model is a perfect option.
• Swimming- If you want a boat for swimming, then you should consider buying boats along with swim decks and sun loungers. To make it better, you can also buy improved ladders and slides
What Will Be The Perfect Size?
Apart from the type, it is also important to identify the size that you should go for. Well, there are different sizes available and it totally depends on your needs. To help you understand better, here are some things that many help you:
• If you have a family of 2 to 6 people, then an 18 to 20 ft. pontoon boat would be perfect
• If you will be accompanying 6 to 10 people, then a 22 to 24 ft. boat would be perfect
• If you will be accompanying more than 10 people, then look for pontoons that are above 24 ft.
Along with the number of people you will be accompanying, the body of water where you will be using the boat also matters a lot.
For example- if you are going to use the boat in calm water in your local area, then you can go with a 17 to 19 ft. long boat. But if you are going in rough water where waves are high, then you should opt for 23 to 28ft. long boat.
Things You Should Look For When Buying A Pontoon Boat
Now after discussing the fundamental information regarding the types and sizes of the boat, it’s time to talk about the things that you should consider while buying a brand new pontoon boat.
1- Number of Pontoons
As you know that the number of tubes varies from one boat to another. Though the majority of boats feature 2 tubes but if you want more stability and speed, then you can also go with boats with 3 tubes.
A 3-tube boat is perfect for people who are looking for pontoon, especially for water sports.
2- Seating Configuration
If you want to pick the best seating configuration, then the first thing you should identify is that how many people will be sitting in the pontoon.
If you have more people, then you should opt for a seating arrangement that can be maximized.
A boat in which you can add additional lounges and enhance the captain chair is also a good option to go with.
3- Bimini Top Addition
One of the most important features that you should look for is a Bimini top. Bimini tops provide shade when you are in the water, so you should make sure that your boat comes with a Bimini top addition.
If possible you should try it at the time of purchase to know whether it is easy or difficult to use.
4- Motor Size
The size and power of the motor you need depend on the activities that you want to do. If you want to enjoy water sports, then you should look for boats that have powerful motors.
But if you want a boat for fishing, swimming or sunbathing, then you can go with an average motor size.
5- Comfort Amenities
It doesn’t matter whether you want a pontoon for swimming, fishing, or water sporting, if you want to get a better experience, you should take a look on the comfort amenities of the boat.
The good thing is that you can add amenities according to your choice. These amenities include cup holders, privacy space, tables, and many more things.
How To Get The Best Deal
If are planning to buy a pontoon, then there are some things that can help you get the best deal. So if you want to know more specifically, then here are some tips that you should follow:
Visit Boat Shows- Boat shows are the best place to gather all the information regarding different types of boats.
You will also get to know about different boat companies. It won’t only give you many options, but you will also be able to compare the prices and features well
Wait For The Right Time- Time plays a very major role because if you go to buy a pontoon in the on-season, then it will cost you more.
So if you can wait, then you should wait for the off-season because in this season even the big companies reduce their prices
Check All The Resources- Pontoon is a big investment and you should not take any decision without researching properly.
You have to explore different locations and boat sellers to get a better idea of the prices. If you don’t have any idea, then you can also take the help of a boat broker as they know better.
The best thing about hiring a broker is that they take a commission from boat seller.
Things To Look For While Buying A Used Boat
As you know that pontoon boats are expensive and not everyone can afford it. Though there is nothing wrong in buying a used boat but there are some things that you should take care of.
So if you want to buy a used boat, then here are some important things you should look for:
The engine is a very important part that plays a major role in determining the power and efficiency of the boat. You must make sure that the engine is in good working condition.
You should check the engine properly and look at whether it has rust, leakage, or any other corrosive elements. If you see any kind of smoke coming out or any kind of decay, then you should not buy it.
Before buying any used pontoon, you should check the pontoon tubes. The pontoon tubes must be straight and if you see any damage or bend, then look for other options
Hull is another important part that you should check very carefully. You should make sure that there are no patches, cracks or chips on the surface of the hull.
No matter how small the damage is, you should not buy it because these kinds of damages grow over time and you will have to spend a lot of money on fixing them.
After checking all these things, you should take a look to the interior. Check the floor and furniture and make sure it is free of any kind of cracks.
Pros of Pontoon Boats
• Durable- One of the best benefits of pontoon boats is that they are very durable and with proper care, they can stay with you for a long period.
• Family Friendly- Another great benefit of pontoon boats is that they are family-friendly. They come with amazing space and comfort, which makes it perfect for small kids too
• Versatile- Pontoon boats are very versatile, you can differently use it for different activities. From fishing to cruising to water sports, you can do everything
The Final Words
So these were some things that you should know before buying a pontoon boat. It doesn’t matter what kind of preferences you have, you will get a lot of different options.
To get the perfect boat, first, you have to figure out the type and size of the boat that will be best for you.
One thing you should keep in mind is that not all boats are created equal, that’s why you should only look for companies that have been in business for some time and known for providing quality boats.
Hope this article will solve some of your doubts and give you some valuable information.
3 Best Selling New Boat Accessories On Amazon
- Set of two heavy-duty pontoon guide-ons for improved overall loading and stability
- 2.5" industrial-grade steel frame with non-marking PVC coating; 30" overall height
- Zinc-coated for freshwater corrosion-resistance, not intended for use in saltwater or brackish water
- Designed to install easily over 2" wide x 2" tall cross members
- Hardware kits are available for trailers up to 2" wide x 6" tall - See Extreme Max part number 3005.3784
- Welded aluminum construction
- Convenient undermount design
- Four steps for comfortable boarding
- Mounting hardware included
- Two-year limited warranty
- Includes four 6. 5” x 22” BoatTector fenders and four 3/8” x 5' fender lines
- Equipped with a needle valve to inflate or deflate each fender to a desired pressure (needle valve pump not included)
- Reinforced molded eyelets ensure longevity and strength
- UV stabilized, chemically resistant
- Two-year limited