There are some people that believe that the best time to buy a boat is whenever you have enough funds for a boat but that is not necessarily true. When it comes to other big purchases such as homes and cars, there are definitely good times and bad times to buy. However, do the same rules apply when it comes to buying a boat?
When is the best time to buy a boat? If you ask this specific question to a number of boaters then chances are, you will get a plethora of answers. All of them, being different. To help you decide when is the best time to buy a boat we have compiled a list to help you narrow down your timeline.
Let’s get started!
When is the best time to buy a boat?
- Best timing to buy a boat:
- If you are someone that wants to look into the newest and best models, then you might want to look into the summertime to buy your boat.
- This is because new boat models are let out at the beginning of each summer. So that would be around June, July, and August.
- Around the springtime (around the month of May), boats will go on sale for a much lower price since summer is around the corner and they want to make space for the newer models.
- This same tactic is used at the end of the year for car dealerships when they want to get rid of the current year inventory so they are able to make room in their dealership for next year’s model.
- However, boaters do warn against wanting too long to buy your dream boat. This is because if you wait until late summer (either late in the month of June or the month of July) to buy your dream boat, then the model that you want could be gone by then.
- Yes, you are saving money by wanting until the sale but then again, by the time the sale comes along, that specific boat or those specific boats might not even be available.
- You have to decide if you want to take the gamble.
- If you want to have the newest boat model on the market, then look into later winter or early spring. Remember that waiting until summer may be too late.
- Be on the lookout early on because many manufacturers will announce new model offerings in the later summer or fall. They will then introduce them to the general public at their winter boat shows.
- If you are new to boating and want to know what winter boat show to look out for, we would recommend the Progressive Miami International Boat Show. The Progressive Miami International Boat Show is in mid-February.
- The Progressive Miami International Boat Show is popular because it pulls in a large crowd.
- The Progressive Miami International Boat Show is one boat show that you will not want to miss. For more information about the Progressive Miami International Boat Show, we would suggest looking on their website.
- Best place to buy a boat:
- You always want to get the most bang for your buck right? If this is true in other aspects of your life, then why should it not be true when it comes to buying a boat?
- Knowing where to buy your boat so you can get the best deal is almost as important as knowing when to buy a boat so you are getting the best prices.
- Boat shows are great because they will give you the opportunity to look at a variety of boats, all of them will be different models and make. Best of all, it is all accommodated in one single place.
- Aside from convenience purposes, boat shows will also offer you some of the best prices you will ever come across. Yes, you heard that right, and no matter how wealthy you are, there is no denying that a good deal is a good deal.
- Boat shows offer the best special promotions, deals, pricing, and incentives.
- When it comes to when the boat shows are held, most of them are held from late fall until early spring.
- This is great and convenient because you can look at what boat you want, buy it and then have it in time for the boating season.
- Similar to buying a car, many boat shows offer special promotions such as financial services. These financial services offer pre-qualification deals. These deals are specifically made for boat shows which means you will not see them anywhere else. If this is not enough incentive for buying a boat then we do not know what is.
- This is also great because if you come in with a budget in mind, and we do recommend this, you will know which models are within your budget and which models are not.
- Most people come into boat shows and do not have a budget and those people tend to get taken away by all the newer models. Remember that despite having the best prices, it is still important to come prepared.
- Boat shows are also great if you have been looking for a specific model that you are not able to find at your local boat show.
- If you are new to boat shows then we would recommend checking out the Boat Show Calendar in your local city or state and to read up on it there.
- Lastly, boat shows are also a great place to meet other boaters as well. You can ask them about their experiences and share yours as well.
- Other factors to consider…
- Like we have mentioned above, timing is important but aside from timing there are also many different factors to consider. Understand that each situation is unique and there is no rush.
- Consider…when your local boat shows are: Local boat shows are different because each area has a different boating season. Do consider when yours is and if you do not know when your local boat shows are, then we would suggest doing some quick research.
- Consider…the area that you live in and the boating season in that specific area: similar to the point above, the area that you live in and the boating season for that specific area is very important. If you want to buy a boat right now but you are in the middle of summer, then you might want to wait a little bit.
- Consider…have you talked to other boats and asked for their advice yet: There is no better way to make a clear decision than to ask someone or many people who already have a boat. Do not be afraid to ask boat owners questions about their boat and their decision and if they know a good dealer or a good boat show that they would recommend. Chances are, if they own a boat then they must love boating and they will be more than happy to share their advice with you.
- Consider…the timing of your dealer and manufacturer incentives: The timing of your dealer and manufacturer incentives plays a very important role in when the best time for you to buy a boat is. Sales and promotions differ from dealer to dealer.
- Consider…have you found your ideal boat yet: This is a really important factor and one that most people do not think about hard enough. They get swept up in the sales and newest models and they do not stop to think if they have found their ideal boat yet. Do not settle because the right boat for you is out there. It will be within your budget, have all the factors you want and you will know it when you see it. Boats are not cheap and they should be treated as the investment that they are.
The Takeaway|When is the right time? Is there one?
Many people will say that there is a right and wrong time and others will say that they just woke up one day and decided to buy a boat, and the rest is history. If you want to leave it up to chance and are not in a rush to buy a boat, then the ladder suggestion should work for you.
However, those that want the best bang for their buck so to speak, will leave nothing up to chance. If so, we hope that this article helped you out. It is best to research and look into where in your city there are boat shows, and if you do not care for the latest or newest model, then check out if anyone is selling their boat used.
The best time to buy a boat is when you feel you are ready to take on such a big responsibility. If you have the funds, a place to store it, and the model you want is on sale at a good price then that is the time.
Best of luck and happy boating!