When it comes to luxury midsize SUVs, no one does it quite like Lexus with their Lexus RX350. Midsize SUVs are the best of both worlds so to speak, they are able to provide you with the strong engine and towing power of a standard size SUV but they are more compact. Despite their size, many buyers want to know that they are still powerful and have a great towing capacity.
So how powerful is the Lexus RX 350 and how much can it tow? Can a Lexus RX 350 tow a boat?
Let’s find out!
How Much Can a Lexus RX 350 tow?
The latest model of the Lexus RX 350 is the 2020 Lexus RX 350. The 2020 Lexus RX 350 can tow up to 3,500 lbs.
Can a Lexus RX 350 tow a Boat?
It can also tow medium size boats such as fiberglass fishing boats and medium-size sailboats as well. These medium size boats typically weigh anywhere between 1,500 lbs and 3,000 lbs.
However, it cannot tow bigger boats such as cabin cruisers but to be quite frank, it will be very difficult to find a vehicle that can haul a cabin cruiser. Cabin cruisers weigh up to 16,000 lbs, with 12,000 lbs being on a smaller scale.
What Kind of Boats Can a Lexus RX 350 tow?
Here is a list of all the different kinds of boats that are the most popular. Check to see if your boat is on here and if it is, can a Jeep Renegade be able to tow it?
- Aluminum fishing boats: 300 lbs to 500 lbs
- They are usually about 16 feet in length.
- While all-aluminum fishing boats may vary, the majority of them do contain a set of bench chairs, center console (for steering) as well as the hull.
- Your Lexus RX 350 can easily pull an aluminum fishing boat, even at its most heavy it is still only 500 lbs.
- Skiff boats: 300 lbs to 900 lbs
- Skiff boats are next on our list and as the aluminum fishing boats, these are also quite light in comparison to the only boats.
- Skiff boats are excellent for shallow waters and that is why so many fishermen love them.
- These kinds of boats can either be used with a long pole or a small motor.
- Sailboats (15 to 20 feet): 400 lbs to 800 lbs
- Sailboats are the kind of boats you would normally see in children’s books. They are simple but they are also great.
- Sailboats that range from 15 to 20 feet are normally called “day sailboats” because you have guessed it, they are normally taken out during the day.
- Most people only take sailboats out on lakes or protect waters such as bays and inlets.
- Fiberglass fishing boats: 1,500 lbs to 2,500 lbs
- Fiberglass fishing boats do weigh quite a bit but this weight is what makes them so sturdy and great for sailing out into the waters.
- Although they will cost you a bit more, you can rest assured knowing that they will also last longer as well.
- Bow rider: 3,000 lbs to 3,500 lbs
- Bowrider boats are great for short cruises and they also have very comfortable seating.
- Most bowrider boats have an inboard motor at its rear. However, if you do not want an inboard motor at the rear of your bowrider boat then you can also have it installed with an outboard motor instead.
- Cabin cruiser: 12,000 lbs to 16,000 lbs
- Cabin cruisers are often referred to as “small yachts.” Smaller cabin cruisers are usually around 25 feet with medium-sized cabin cruisers being from 26 feet to 44 feet. The biggest cabin cruisers are 45 feet.
- Since they are called “small yachts” they are able to travel some distance with enough space for people, cargo, and food.
- Inside cabin cruisers are living quarters.
- Cuddy Cabin: 3,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs
- Cuddy cabins are often called a hybrid between cabin cruisers and bowrider boats. This is because like cabin cruisers, they have enough space to carry people, cargo, and food. They are similar to bowrider boats because they have short-term cruise capabilities.
- Cuddy cabins are great if you want to spend a few long hours to a night’s stay out in the water. However, anything longer than that is not advised with cabin cabins. For example, if you wanted to stay out on the water for an entire weekend, it is best to take a bigger boat or one that is capable of staying out for that long.
- Deck boats: 3,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs
- Deck boats are great for that all-day fun with a large group of people. The reason why they are called deck boats is because of the large room on the deck.
- Deck boats are similar to pontoon boats because there is a lot of space to move around. You do not feel confined when you are on a deck boat.
- One difference between deck boats and pontoon boats is that they are built with a traditional hull. This means that if you were to be trapped in harsh waters, then being on a deck boat will give you more stability versus a pontoon boat.
- Pontoon boats: 3,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs
- Pontoon boats are quite popular and can be seen on a lot of rivers and lakes during the summer and spring seasons.
- Sailboats (20 to 30 feet): 4,000 lbs to 8,000 lbs
- Larger sailboats are often called “day cruising boats.”
- Any sailboat that is larger than 30 feet would be considered a yacht.
- If the boat is considered to be a yacht then you will not be able to tow it anyways, so be sure to check the dimensions.
In Conclusion|Is the Lexus RX 350 Right For You?
What makes the Lexus RX 350 such a great midsize SUV is the fact that you do not need to give up your luxury wants for a bigger car. Not only that but the Lexus RX 350 is known for being a comfortable ride as well as being inexpensive to maintain and having a quiet cabin. On top of that, it also has a great towing capacity of 3,500 lbs.
If you are looking for a midsize SUV that will be fun to drive to the lake as well as be able to tow a small to a medium boat, then this is the vehicle for you.
Please keep in mind that the specs given are from the 2020 Lexus RX 350 model. If you are thinking about purchasing an older model please check to see what the towing capacity is for that model as it may be different.