Center console boats are great boats and they are loved by many. Yet because they are so loved, you have probably seen a few around the water. Or maybe you own a center console boat yourself. You might be wondering what center boat accessories there are out there and you know what? You are not alone.
As great as many boats are, they do not come with everything that you will need. Think of them as a great blank canvas and the accessories are the paint. Whether you are looking into buying new accessories for your center console boat or whether you are looking to buy some accessories for a friend of yours, we have got you covered.
Let’s get started!
Are Center Console Boats the Same as Dual Console Boats?
We will break down what a center console boat is and what a dual console boat is so you do not have to get confused about the two again.
Before we get started on why you should buy a center console boat, let’s talk about what center console boats are. Now some of you may be center console boat experts but there is always more to learn. And this section will be super helpful if you are new to center console boats or if you know about them but very little.
Let’s get started, shall we?
Center console boats got their name because yes, you guessed it, they have a helm station mounted at the center console (or near it) of the boat. Well, wasn’t that easy? We love it when names for items actually make sense.
It is important to note that boats with cabins are not center console boats even if they have a centered steering station.
Boats with consoles on the side (with one for the driver and one for the passenger) are typically called dual console boats. It may be a bit confusing at first since both these types of boats are in the water but after a while, you will get the hang of it and will be able to spot them out easier.
Back to center console boats- the stern and bow cockpits of center console boats are usually open. Center console boats may have various propulsion systems that include stern drives as well as inboards. More modern center console boats are powered by outboard engines.
Advantages of Center Console Boats
● Family Friendly
- If you have a family that loves being on the water then you might want to consider a center console boat.
- Center console boats are spacious and they are accommodating for people of all heights and sizes and yes, that includes the little ones.
- A lot of center console boat owners love their center console boats for fishing. Fishing is an activity that is both for the young and for the old. That means you can take your son with you and also your uncle as well and they will both enjoy it.
- Center console boats are perfect if your family usually spends the spring and summertime in the water.
● Great Visibility Space
- This is an aspect of center console boats or actually boats in general that most people tend to overlook. After all, you are out in the water and usually, it is not crowded. Unlike driving, most boats do not think much about great visibility or why that is important.
- Well with a center console boat, that is not something you have to worry about because your center console boat has got you covered.
- Since the helm is located right smack dab in the middle of the center console boat then you can see everything around you, and nothing will be in your way.
- Nice huh? Once you get used to the great visibility of your center console boat, you might not want to ride another boat again. Hey, don’t say we didn’t warn you.
- Great visibility is also great because you will have the most scenic view of the land and water around you. After all, what is the point of having a beautiful boat and beautiful scenery if you are not able to see or appreciate it?
● Excellent Storage
- To be quite honest, is storage on any book even an option? It seems as if finding any sort of slot or compartment on a boat is like finding gold. We understand the struggle but we also understand why it is so hard.
- Boats, unless they are a huge cruise ship, were not designed to have multiple storage spaces so you will have to make do with what was given to you on the boat you are on.
- However, with center console boats, you will have more of an advantage.
- According to Sea Born Boats, center console boats are great for storage and they know what they are talking about.
- Here is what Sea Boar Boats had to say about the storage system of center console boats, “While modern boats have come a long way to allow for more storage, center console boats tend to have a “better” feel and flow. From bait wells to rod storage, a center console boat will typically contain forward, central, side, and aft storage areas that are placed in usable and practical locations. Similar to the first point, having accessibility to the water that’s free from gear or awkward storage solutions, helps you and your passengers bring in fish, but also promote safety.”
- Now if that does not sell you, we do not know what else will.
- Now, this might be a strange aspect to some people but if you have ever been on a boat, then you know how important balance is or even how fickle it can be.
- With a center console boat, you do not have to worry about balance issues because being center will help stabilize the boat. You see, it is all in the name.
Must-Have Accessories for Your Center Console Boat
While there are a ton of great console boat accessories, we have narrowed it down to this list Please keep in mind that these items are all sold through Amazon which means you will be able to find them easily.
Buying through Amazon will also ensure that you will get Amazon Prime shipping (if the item is applicable for Amazon Prime shipping) and that the price will be as low as possible.
However, we cannot guarantee that these are the lowest prices since prices may vary depending on promotions and availability of items.
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s get started!
● Summerset T-Top Tower Bimini Shade Center Console Boat Cover Frame and Canvas – UV Rated Marine Canvas
- Price: $199.99
- 68″ L x 56″ W x 79″ H
- How we describe it: Have you ever been on a really nice day and thought to yourself, “The only thing that would make this day better is if there was some shade?” Well, we understand how that feels and that is why a boat shade is much needed.
- It is even great on days when the sun’s not shining to protect you from the harmful UV rays.
- How Amazon describes it: “If you are looking to add shade to your center console boat, this TTop kit is the perfect solution. The Summerset T-Top Tower Bimini Shade offers an affordable high-quality T-Top shade option for aftermarket installation. The polished 1 1/4 ” aluminum tube frame can be modified to fit consoles up to 44″ wide.”
- Amazon also notes that “The kit comes with everything you need to complete the installation including stainless steel hardware. Joints are pre-drilled to accommodate threaded hex bolt and nut fittings (included). This gives extra strength and rigidity to the frame structure. The frame mounts at 4 points to the floor and 6 points to the console – 2 on each side and 2 on the front. The result is a very sturdy, highly functional, and attractive tower shade.”
- Price: $154.80 to $289.99 (Note: price differences will vary depending on the seller).
- How we describe it: this may sound annoying since we are sure you have heard it this many times or you know about it but just in case you do not: you will want to buy a cover for your center console boat.
- This is because when you are not using your center console boat, it is just sitting there and is not protected by any of the elements (harsh winds and snow). It is also wide open for any animal droppings or worse, wild animals can crawl in and make use of your center console boat if you are not careful.
- Having a cover for your center console boat is not just an accessory but some might say it is a necessary item.
- How Amazon describes it: “For center console style boats without roofs 14′-16′ long, up to 90-inch beamwidth. Heavy-duty 600D boat cover designed for both long-term storage and highway travel. Integrated buckle and strap system for easy fitting and trailering, adjustable straps snap into quick-release buckles on the cover. Includes stuff sack storage bag, cover support pole to prevent water pooling, and trailering straps.”
- Price: $39.99
- How we describe it: Boat lights are so important to have on your boat, especially if you decide to take your boat out at night.
- Chances are, there will be very little lighting. This is dangerous if something does happen to you or if your radio in for help but the authorities cannot find you.
- How Amazon describes it: “[120°Led Flood Light]. With OSRAM Led chips, this spreader lights with 120° illumination range give out abundant brightness for clear visibility, increasing safety hugely for your night fishing, night ride, or any other night activities.”
- Price: $24.49
- How we describe it: This one is pretty self-explanatory but is much needed. When people do not have a place to throw away their trash, well they will toss it in the water. While most of us know not to do this there are a selected few that do not know or do not care. Do not be that person and purchase a trash bag for your boat.
- How Amazon describes it: “This Hoop Top Marine Boat Trash Bag manufactured by Boat Trix. has a circular hoop opening with a funnel entrance. It holds a lot of trash. Cans, Bottles, paper plates, etc Up to 5 gallons worth. The bag dimensions are 9-3/4″ wide by 27-1/2″ deep. it holds 20 empty non-crushed cans (12 oz). Simply the best for the price. Moreover, Boat Trix guarantees the workmanship of components for 1 yr, simply pay to ship. To empty the bag, simply remove from the boat =, turn upside down and tickle the cans and trash out! The bag is removable, but not necessary to empty the bag.”
● LUCKY Handheld Fish Finder Portable Fishing Kayak Fishfinder Fish Depth Finder Fishing Gear with Sonar Transducer and LCD Display
- Price: $40.99
- How we describe it: This is more for those who love to fish and want to find a good fish finder.
- Even if you are not a fisher, this fish finder will make a great gift for a friend or family member that is.
- How Amazon describes it: “LUCKY fish finder portable detects and displays water depth, approximate fish location, short & tall weeds, sand & rocks on the bottom. Fishfinder portable design gives you another option to hang it around the neck.”
In Conclusion | Are Accessories Worth it?
Many people believe accessories are a waste of money and they feel very strongly about it.
When they look at a car or boat that is all decked out in new accessories they tend to shake their head in disapproval. While we do agree that some accessories are over the top, it does not mean that there is no value to them.
Even if a person decides to buy a string of lights for their center console boat simply because they like the way it looks, then that is reason enough.
If you found this list helpful, please feel free to pass it on to a friend or family member who might also find it useful.