Jeep Renegades are great SUVs. they are known to be one of the most qualified off-roaders in its class. They are also known for their great cabin material, interior space as well as passenger and foot space. This is why so many people are interested in the Jeep Renegade but like most SUVs, the majority of buyers want to know how well the Jeep Renegade can tow.
If you have been wondering how much a Jeep Renegade can tow or if it can even tow as much as a boat, then you have come to the right place.
Let’s get started!
How much can a Jeep Renegade Tow?
The 2020 Jeep Renegade can tow up to 2,000 lbs which is the same as how much a 2020 Jeep Cherokee can tow as well.
2,000 is on the lower end because most boats are around 1,000 lbs or more. If you are looking to tow a smaller boat such as a small sailboat, an aluminum fishing boat, or a skiff boat then you are all set.
However, if you are looking into a bigger boat such as a bowrider or a pontoon boat then the Jeep Renegade is not for you.
To check and see where your boat lies, check out our list down below.
Can a Jeep Renegade Tow a Boat?
- Aluminum fishing boats: 300 to 500 lbs
- Aluminum fishing boats are quite popular. They are usually about 16 feet in length.
- While all-aluminum fishing boats may vary, the majority of them do contain a set of bench chairs, center console (for steering) as well as the hull.
- Your Jeep Renegade can easily pull an aluminum fishing boat, even at its most heavy it is still only 500 lbs.
- Skiff boats: 300 to 900 lbs
- Skiff boats are next on our list and as the aluminum fishing boats, these are also quite light in comparison to the only boats.
- Skiff boats are excellent for shallow waters and that is why so many fishermen love them.
- These kinds of boats can either be used with a long pole or a small motor.
- Sailboats (15 to 20 feet): 400 to 800 lbs
- Sailboats are the kind of boats you would normally see in children’s books. They are simple but they are also great.
- Sailboats that range from 15 to 20 feet are normally called “day sailboats” because you have guessed it, they are normally taken out during the day.
- Most people only take sailboats out on lakes or protect waters such as bays and inlets.
- Fiberglass fishing boats: 1,500 to 2,500 lbs
- Fiberglass fishing boats do weigh quite a bit but this weight is what makes them so sturdy and great for sailing out into the waters.
- Although they will cost you a bit more, you can rest assured knowing that they will also last longer. As the saying goes, “you get what you pay for” and that is true when it comes to fiberglass fishing boats.
- Bow rider: 3,000 to 3,500 lbs
- Bowrider boats are great for short cruises and they also have very comfortable seating.
- Most bowrider boats have an inboard motor at its rear. However, if you do not want an inboard motor at the rear of your bowrider boat then you can also have it installed with an outboard motor instead.
- Cabin cruiser: 12,000 to 16,000 lbs
- Cabin cruisers are often referred to as “small yachts.” Smaller cabin cruisers are usually around 25 feet with medium-sized cabin cruisers being from 26 feet to 44 feet. The biggest cabin cruisers are 45 feet.
- Since they are called “small yachts” they can travel some distance with enough space for people, cargo, and food.
- Inside cabin cruisers are living quarters.
- Cuddy Cabin: 3,000 to 5,000 lbs
- Cuddy cabins are often called a hybrid between cabin cruisers and bowrider boats. This is because like cabin cruisers, they have enough space to carry people, cargo, and food. They are similar to bowrider boats because they have short-term cruise capabilities.
- Cuddy cabins are great if you want to spend a few long hours to a night’s stay out in the water. However, anything longer than that is not advised with cabin cabins. For example, if you wanted to stay out on the water for an entire weekend, it is best to take a bigger boat or one that is capable of staying out for that long.
- Deck boats: 3,000 to 5,000 lbs
- Deck boats are great for that all-day fun with a large group of people. The reason why they are called deck boats is because of the large room on the deck.
- Deck boats are similar to pontoon boats because there is a lot of space to move around. You do not feel confined when you are on a deck boat.
- One difference between deck boats and pontoon boats is that they are built with a traditional hull. This means that if you are ever unlucky enough to be trapped in harsh waters, then being on a deck boat will give you more stability versus a pontoon boat.
- Pontoon boats: 3,000 to 5,000 lbs
- Speaking of pontoon boats, they are next and they are great.
- Pontoon boats are quite popular and can be seen on a lot of rivers and lakes during the summer and spring seasons.
- Sailboats (20 to 30 feet): 4,000 to 8,000 lbs
- Larger sailboats are often called “day cruising boats.”
- Any sailboat that is larger than 30 feet would be considered a yacht.
- If the boat is considered to be a yacht then you will not be able to tow it anyways, so be sure to check the dimensions.
- Wake boats: 3,000 to 5,000 lbs
- Wake boats are designed to make waves so wake surfers can surf behind them.
- These boats are on the heavier side though but most surfers feel they are worth the weight because of how great they are.
In Conclusion|Is the Jeep Renegade the Car for You?
The 2020 Jeep Renegade is quite a steal in the SUV world. It handles paved surfaces and tough terrains well, it has very comfortable seatings, it is easy to get in and out of it, and it also offers off-roading on the Trailhawk trim. All of these are reasons alone to check out the all-new Jeep Renegade.
The 2020 Jeep Renegade’s towing capacity sits at an even 2,000.
To some drivers it is great while to others, it is a bit weak. Depending on whichever end of the spectrum you lean towards is where you can decide if the 2020 Jeep Renegade is the car for you.
Please do keep in mind that the specs and information used in this article are related to the latest edition of the Jeep Renegade.
If you are planning on buying a used or preloved Jeep Renegade, please be sure to check its specs and information as it may differ from the latest model.