If you happen to own a Toyota Tundra and also thoroughly enjoy boating or fishing, you’re going to enjoy what this article will reveal. As Toyota’s most impressive heavy-duty pickup truck, your Tundra is extremely capable of towing almost any boat you could possibly imagine.
How Much Weight Can a Toyota Tundra Pickup Truck Tow?
When you’re considering which type of boat you’re interested in buying, the most important thing you need to think about is your Tundra’s towing capacity. Depending on the model of Tundra you purchase, it can tow anywhere between 9,400 and 10,100 pounds in a single load.
Simply knowing the towing capacity of your Toyota Tundra is relatively vague information. In addition to those details, you also need to know what types of boat your Toyota Tundra can tow so you can make an educated purchase decision.
What Types of Boats Can a Toyota Tundra Pickup Truck Tow?
With a range of 9,400 to 10,100 pounds of towing capacity, you can expect your Toyota Tundra to be able to tow just about any boat you may be interested in purchasing. With this impressive range in capacity, here are seven types of boats and watercraft you can expect your Tundra to be able to tow with ease.
- PWCs – 850 pounds
- Small Fishing Boat – 1,700 pounds
- Deckboat/Pontoon – 3,100 pounds
- Ski Boat – 3,500 pounds
- Speed Boat – 8,000 pounds
- Cabin Cruiser – 8,700 pounds
- Sailboat – 8,800 pounds
In the list above, you’ll see the average weight of different types of boats that are within your Tundra’s towing capacity. These are simply averages, however, and the actual weight of specific models may vary greatly from the values listed above.
Prior to purchasing a boat for your Tundra to tow, you need to think about what type of boat you want and consider the weight of the trailer you plan to use.
A vehicle’s towing capacity doesn’t already factor in the weight of a trailer, which makes it necessary that you consider your trailer’s weight in addition to the weight of the boat.
Formally known as Jet Skis and personal watercraft, PWCs are among the most lightweight and tow-friendly watercraft that you can purchase. Many of these watercraft are well bellow 1,000 pounds which, in all reality, makes it possible for almost any type of four-wheel vehicle to tow them. Here are some examples of personal watercraft models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- Yamaha EXR – 540 pounds
- Sea-Doo GTI 130 – 718 pounds
- Kawasaki Ultra 310lx – 1,074 pounds
Small Fishing Boat
One of the most common types of boats that you can purchase and tow are small fishing boats. These boats are known to be a smaller size and have a lighter weight than typical fishing boats, but they still allow you to do almost anything a normal fishing boat does.
No matter what body of water you prefer to fish on, small fishing boats are capable of handling it. Here are some examples of small fishing boat models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- Polar Kraft Kodiak 165 SC – 978 pounds
- Tracker Targa V-18 WT – 2,060 pounds
- Regulator 23 – 5,600 pounds
Deckboats are more commonly known as pontoon boats and are usually recognized by their flat and stable design that can seat a larger number of occupants than most other types of small boats.
This type of boat is relatively long and is most common for family outings, long days on the lake with family and friends, and even small fishing excursions. Here are some examples of pontoon boat models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16 DLX ET – 1,235 pounds
- Lowe SS210 – 1,680 pounds
- Sun Tracker SportFish 22 XP3 – 3,250 pounds
For watersport enthusiasts, ski boats are the go-to boat option. These boats are most commonly used for activities like wake surfing, water tubing, and water skiing.
The physical construction and features of the boat cause an influx of waves behind the boat that is conducive to these types of water activities. Here are some examples of ski boat models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- MasterCraft ProStar 2019 – 3,300 pounds
- Centurion Ri257 – 5,350 pounds
- Supra SE 2019 – 6,150 pounds
Speed boats are exactly what they sound like, motorized boats capable of achieving high speeds of about 50 knots (depending on the model).
The physical design of this boat allows the boat to glide across the surface of the water at an impressively quick speed. Here are some examples of speed boat models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- 32 Thunder Cat – 5,400 pounds
- Cigarette 38 Top Gun – 9,000 pounds
- M35 – 9,250 pounds
Cabin cruisers have an appearance similar to luxury yachts, though significantly smaller in size. In short, these boats have a small cabin onboard that you and your guests can use for sleeping and other purposes.
Given these features, this type of boat is much heavier than other boats your vehicle can tow. Here are some examples of cabin cruiser models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- C-Dory 22’ Cruiser – 2,600 pounds
- Stingray 250CS Mid-Cabin Cruiser – 4,971 pounds
- Bayliner 285 SB – 8,000 pounds
Sailboats are typically heavier boats due to their large physical size. Rather than requiring a motor or engine, these boats extremely long and are propelled by adjusting their sails to the wind as it blows.
For the most part, these boats are towable if they’re a reasonable size. Here are some examples of sailboat models that your Tundra is capable of towing.
- Sunfish – 120 pounds
- C&C 27 – 5,180 pounds
- Ericson 28.5 – 7,500 pounds
Now that you basically have unlimited options when it comes to selecting a boat that your Tundra can tow, you should learn a little bit about the process of towing a trailer and how to do so safely.
Selecting a Hitch
Given your Tundra’s incredible towing capacity, you have a wider range of hitches that you can use to tow your boat. In fact, you can use any hitch between Class 1 and Class 4, which supports between 2,000 and 10,000 pounds, respectively.
Regardless of the weight of the boat that you’re purchasing, you might want to set up a Class 4 hitch either way. This will guarantee that your Tundra can support towing your boat, especially because the actual weight of your boat will increase with added items and modifications.
In addition, your vehicle will be required to tow the trailer as well. It’s better to play on the safe side than risk damaging your boat or vehicle.
Setting Up the Trailer
To properly set up your boat trailer and attach it to your Tundra, you’re going to need to enlist the help of another person. As this other person provides directional cues as you reverse your vehicle toward the trailer, you’ll both make sure that your Tundra is lined up correctly.
Before you even think about getting your Tundra on the road, you need to walk around the vehicle and trailer and make sure it’s entirely secured. Confirm that you’ve set up your trailer’s wiring to display your vehicle’s turn and brake signals. In addition, you should make sure that your tires are properly inflated.
Survey the boat itself to make sure that you’ve removed any item that can become dislodged or blow away as the result of hitting a bump or heavy crosswind. This will help promote safety for yourself and others on the ride.
Bonus Tips: Learn How To Launch A Boat By Yourself!
It’s possible that your Tundra now essentially ways an additional 10,000 and it’s important that you drive as such. When driving, remember to keep a safe following distance, remain in the far right lane as often as possible, and account for sudden braking and turns from those around you.
Driving with a trailer and large boat is a difficult task, but it’s entirely possible with focus and attention to detail.
In this article, we thoroughly reviewed the towing abilities of the 2020 Toyota Tundra pickup truck and the vast number of boats this vehicle can tow.
We also briefly overviewed how to set up your trailer and vehicle for towing to do so as safely as possible. Hopefully, this guide helped you to select a boat that your Tundra can tow.
- 【SIZED TO PERFECTION】the center console organizer Fits for 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 Toyota Tundra ,Including SR,SR5,LIMITED,Platinum,1794 Edition and TRD Pro.MUST-HAVE Tundra Accessories.CHECK FIRST: If your TUNDRA original center console comes with a small organizer which rides on TWO RAILS ( two rails positioned at the front and back of the box) ,the JDMCAR full sized tray will NOT fit.
- 【LASTING DURABILITY】Made from ABS plastic with matte finish.
- 【NO RATTLE】This tray fits the inside shape of the center console tightly so it wont make rattle. Removable coin case holds coins tightly，which is easy to put in and take out.
- 【NO-SLIP】No slip,removable,rubber tray liners prevent items from sliding and rattling in tray.
- 【INSTALL IN A FLASH】 Same size with original center console, install directly, no need to modify.JUST few seconds，your Tundra center console will be more ORGANIZED.
- Application: 3D raised tailgate letters, Compatible with 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Toyota TUNDRA.
- 3D Design: A raised solid badge letter with a nice bevel to fit curved, complex recessed surface create a cool 3D. Heavy duty and Shiny decal really make the tailgate POP in a subtle way.
- Excellent Quality: Say goodbye to cheap traditional inferior plastic letters. Compared with ordinary letters, A nice heavy metal with high quality 3M tape on the back, resistance to long-term exposure to sunlight , raining or weathering.
- Installation: Easy to install, clean and dry the tailgate, lightly apply then fine tune any adjustments and firmly press the letter down to seat it. Doesn’t request any technical skills, can be finished within minutes.
- Warm Notice: Be sure to clean the recesses thoroughly to make longevity of the adhesive before applying.