Can a BMW X3 Tow a Boat?
When it comes to SUVs, most people think that they are ideal for towing and they are right. When most people think of BMW, they think of luxury and they are right. So combine these two together and you will get the ultimate luxury SUV.
The BMW X3 is one of the nicest SUVs and not only that, but it has great towing capacity. When you think of towing capacity, most people can tell if a car is powerful by how much it can tow. So how much can a BMW X3 tow? Can a BMW X3 tow a boat?
Let’s find out!
How Much can a BMW X3 Tow?
A 2019 BMW X3 can tow up to 4,400 pounds. That is quite impressive since depending on what kind of boat you want to tow, most bigger, towable boats are around 2,000 lbs.
This means that the 2019 BMW X3 is able to tow many boats, campers, and trailers.
Can a BMW X3 Tow a Boat?
A BMW X3 is able to tow many boats but it also depends on what kind of boat you want to tow. If you are looking for a car to tow boats in general though, the 2019 BMW X3 is quite a good vehicle.
Now that you know that the 2019 BMW X3 can tow most boats, you are probably wondering what kind of boat the BMW X3 can tow right? Well, let’s find out.
What Kind of Boats Can a BMW X3 Tow?
There are many different types of boats out there and they all come in different sizes and weights. Unfortunately we would be here all day if we listed the names of all of those boats. Instead, we compiled a list of the most popular boats as well as their respective weights.
If the boat that you are looking into buying is on this list and it is under 4,400 lbs then the 2019 BMW X3 is definitely a car you should look into it. If not, then you might want to consider a bigger SUV or a truck.
- Personal Watercraft Boat (also known as PWC for short): 850 lbs
- Small fishing boat (anywhere from 15 feet to 25 feet): 1,700 lbs
- Pontoon boats: 3,100 lbs
- Ski boats: 3,500 lbs
- Speed boats: 8,000 lbs
- Cabin cruisers: 8,700 lbs
- Sailboat (depending on size): 8,800 lbs
Please note that anything that weighs more than 8,000 is considered quite dangerous to tow. So be sure to to check the weight of the boat that you are looking to purchase. Also keep in mind that a yacht and anything heavier than a yacht, cannot be towed.
More Information about the BMW X3|Towing Capabilities, Specs, and Much More
If you are sold on the towing capacity of the BMW X3 and want to learn more about the car in general, then here are some general aspects you should know:
Towing Capabilities and Towing Features:
- First off, since we are on the subject, let’s talk about the BMW X3’s towing features.
- The BMW X3 can tow up to 4,400 lbs and that is a lot. However, it also comes with great responsibilities. Afterall, you have to really trust your car if you are loading as much as 4,000 lbs behind you.
- However, the BMW X3 is designed with amazing safety features that makes it so the job of hauling around so much weight will be an easier job and a safer job.
- You can rest assured that the BMW X3 has great safety features.
- The BMW X3 comes with dynamic stability control to help you avoid swaying or fishtailing.
- The BMW X3 has a rear-view camera that is great to check on you trailer when you have it attached or for those behind you in hard to see situations such as a tight parking space.
- The BMW X3 has start-off assistant launch control to help you not rollback when you are parked somewhere quite steep such as a hill.
- The BMW X3 has front and review park distance control available. The front and rear park distance control was added for additional visibility which is great if you often drive at night or in darker areas.
- The BMW X3 has descent control for steady downhill driving available. The descent control control is active even during towing.
- The BMW X3 has dynamic traction control to avoid loss of grip and/or slippage.
Three Different Trim Levels and Spec Performance|Which Trim Level is Right For You?
The BMW X3 comes in three different trim levels and each trim level has its own features that makes it stand out.
All three BMW X3 trim levels will give you 62.7 cubic feet of cargo capacity. That is quite spacious but if you need more, then do remember that the BMW X3 will also give you 4,400 lbs maximum towing capacity as well. Which means you will have room to lug your cargo around in the back.
All three BMW X3 trim will also offer you 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission. This is offered in sport and manual shift modes.
All three different trim levels do however, have different performance specs and drivetrains. To dive into their differences, here is a breakdown of the three different trim levels.
No matter what trim level you choose, you will still be able to enjoy its towing capacity so it really all comes down to preference with the specs that each trim level has to offer.
● 2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i
- The 2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i comes with a 2.0 L TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder engine
- The 2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i yields 248 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque
- The 2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i comes with rear-wheel drive
- The 2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i has a payload of 937 lbs
● 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
- The 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i has a 2.0 L BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-Cylinder Engine
- The 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i yields 248 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque
- The 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i comes in all-wheel drive
- The 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i has a payload of 937 lbs
● 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
- The 2019 BMW X3 M40i has a M Performance TwinPower turbo in-line 6-cylinder engine
- The 2019 BMW X3 M40i yields 355 HP and 365 lb-ft of torque
- The 2019 BMW X3 M40i comes in all-wheel drive
- The 2019 BMW X3 M40i has a payload of 915 lbs
In Conclusion|Is the BMW X3 a good Towing Vehicle?
The answer to that solely depends on what kind of boat you want to tow. If you want to tow smaller fishing boats such as personal watercraft boats or day boats, then yes it definitely is. However, do keep in mind that 4,400 lbs is the max the BMW X3 can tow. Anything more than that, then you might want to look into a truck.
These are the specs and information of the 2019 model. If you have an older BMW X3 model, then be sure to check the specs and information of your respective model because some information may be different.