Fishing from a kayak is one of the best ways to get closer to nature as well as get more in touch with our heritage and roots. Kayaks have been used for thousands of years, and are one of the earliest ways that human beings went out to catch food for themselves.
In fact, fish was the primary source of protein for most human beings and continues to be 20% of animal protein consumed around the globe. In the western world, we tend to stray from our roots and fill our bodies with heavy red meat and processed foods far too often. While we don’t disparage a good steak it is good for the body and soul to get back to our roots once in a while.
However, if you are looking to traverse on the water in search of food as our ancestors once did, you’re going to need the right kayak. While our ancestors wouldn’t have had the high-tech resources we have, another tradition for human beings is progress.
For that reason, we are going to be looking at the highly approachable inflatable kayaks, both tandem and single, that will make fishing a breeze.
Best Inflatable Kayaks for Fishing (Single, Tandem)
The best inflatable kayak for fishing will be the one that best suits your needs based on your level of experience, budget, intending location, and what type of fishing you intend to do.
To learn more about what to look for when buying an inflatable kayak for fishing, and to get a list of our favorites, keep on reading. We’ll give you all the information you need to make the right choice for you.
There are many different variations and options when it comes to inflatable kayaks. Below, we will take a look at these variations so you can consider which options you want to look for when choosing the inflatable kayak that’s right for you.
There are a few different options when it comes to the main material that your inflatable kayak is constructed with. Each one comes with its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the materials you should be looking for when making your purchase, and the pros and cons of each one.
We are all familiar with PVC when it comes to inflatables, as that is primarily what they were made with until fairly recently. The smell is sure to bring you some nostalgia of the first inflatable kayak your father purchased when you were a kid. Since it has been around so long, it is one of the most affordable materials on the market. If budget is your primary concern, looking at PVC kayaks is the way to go.
However, PVC is not going to be as durable as some of the other materials. In particular, PVC degrades very quickly in direct sunlight. If you live in a bright, semi-tropical climate such as Florida, you may want to go ahead and invest in something a bit tougher.
Nitrylon is one of the materials that is going to be a lot more hardy than PVC. It is very puncture-resistant, so if you plan on going to locations with a lot of sharp rocks or tree branches in the water, this could also be a better option for you.
If you are planning on taking your inflatable kayak onto icy waters, Nitrylon is also the best option for you, as it performs very well in colder climates. Kayaks made from Nitrylon will weigh a bit more than those made of PVC, but your kayak will still be easier to transport than a non-inflatable.
Hypalon is what the US Coast Guard uses to make its inflatable boats, so you already know that this is going to be the most durable material on the market. Inflatable kayaks made of this material are going to be the most expensive, but they will also last the longest. If you are looking to invest in a long-time hobby, this is the material you need to be looking for.
Fishing is often done best with a child, parent, or partner. If you aren’t always planning on going out alone, you are going to want to ensure that your kayak has space for an extra person or two. Make sure to factor all potential use cases into your considerations.
In this article, we are going to focus on highly-specialized fishing kayaks. However, there are many other inflatable kayaks that are made to do other things, such as whitewater rafting, that are made to be “fishing-friendly”. If you are wanting to do more in your kayak than just fishing, you may want to take a look at these multi-use kayaks instead of one that is made primarily for fishing.
Now that you have considered all of the above, you can begin to dive into our list of top inflatable fishing kayaks below. Just be sure to keep your budget, needed capacity, and intended use in mind, and you will be sure to make the best choice for yourself.
Best Inflatable Fishing Kayaks of 2020
Sea Eagle 435 Inflatable Fishing Kayak | 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This tandem inflatable fishing kayak can be rowed by a singular person, so it is a great choice if you will be going out alone or bringing a child or friend with you depending on the day. Better yet, it only weighs 41 pounds, so you’ll have no problem getting it out onto the water by yourself for a relaxing day of fishing out on the lake.
Amazingly, this kayak has a load capacity of 650 pounds, meaning you can bring plenty of fish back with you at the end of the day. Its I-beam construction makes it feel very sturdy as well, so you won’t feel like you’re tipping when you’re reeling in the catch of the day for dinner.
We also love this product for first-timers, as it comes with two oars as well as the foot-pump, so you won’t need to buy a lot of accessories right off the bat. This is a great option for someone buying their first inflatable fishing kayak as it covers all the bases at an affordable price.
Capacity – 2 people
Weight – 41 pounds
Load – 650 pounds
Length – 14 ft. 6 in.
Advanced Elements Straitedge Angler Pro | 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This small fishing kayak is the perfect option if you are planning on going out on your own for just a couple of hours at a time. For the recent-retiree or weekend hobbyist, this is a great, no-fuss option to get you started.
While you won’t be able to do overnight fishing trips due to the weight capacity of 400 pounds, you won’t have any problem going out during the day and getting close to nature.
This kayak is designed specifically with fishing in mind, so you will find it to be very comfortable as you are waiting for that first bite. It is also designed to be very stable despite its short length, so you won’t have any problems bracing yourself as you reel in that first catch of the morning.
This single-person inflatable fishing kayak has a unique metal frame which actually lets you mount your own after-market rod holders and other fishing equipment. This is definitely the perfect daily-use kayak for the serious lake fisherman.
However, don’t think this kayak is just built for those who plan to laze around all day. It is constructed to withstand Class III whitewater, and the short length makes it easily maneuverable down winding rivers and streams. If its a bit of a trek to your favorite fishing spot, you won’t have a problem getting there with this boat
Capacity – 1 person
Weight – 45 pounds
Load – 400 pounds
Length – 10 ft. 6 in.
Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL Inflatable Kayak | 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This fishing kayak is a bit of a middle-of-the-road option if you are stuck between the first two options. While it is a singular-person inflatable fishing kayak, it can be used as a two-person kayak in a pinch. This would likely be for shorter excursions with a child, but if you want a fishing kayak for yourself with an option to take your tike along, this is the inflatable fishing kayak for you.
The Blackfoot HB is actually the lightest kayak on this list, weighing in at 37 pounds. Another neat feature: it comes with its own backpack. If you want to be able to catch that night’s dinner during your hiking excursion, this could be a really great option for you as it is highly portable.
This awesome fishing kayak also comes with its own fish cooler, and a removable seating platform if you like to sit higher while you are fishing. This is definitely a fishing-focused kayak, but it is nice that it has some versatility in that it can be a two-person paddling kayak in case that’s how your day shapes out to be.
Capacity – 1 person, 2 people if not fishing
Weight – 38 pounds
Load – 600 pounds
Length – 12 ft. 8 in.
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
- CONFORMS TO THE CURVE OF YOUR HAND: This high-quality, patented design cushioned paddle grip makes paddling more enjoyable because it conforms to the curves of your hands. The padding reduces pressure on your palms and tendons, allowing you to get a better grip for more efficient paddling. The soft, durable material also reduces blisters and calluses as you enjoy water activities.
- QUICK AND EASY INSTALLATION: At Cascade Creek, we know you’re eager to get on the water and minimize setup time. Yakgrips are a breeze to install. Simply wet the inside of the paddle grip and slide it on the paddle. The inner design will keep it in place. To remove, wet the paddle shaft and pull off. For one-piece paddles, velcro is available. They can can be left on for your next expedition.
- SIMPLE TO WASH: These Yakgrips paddle grips require very low maintenance. We’ve made them washable! When they get dirty on the river or sweaty from your hands, the process is simple; all you have to do is wash with mild dish detergent and they’ll be ready to go for your next river, ocean, or lake trip.
- MAKES PADDLING MORE EFFICIENT: If you’re a competitive kayaker, you’ll love that these stretchy, adjustable grips will improve your performance . They can also act as a training aid to help with learning the correct positioning on a paddle. By reducing friction on the hands, paddling becomes smoother and more effective with these waterproof accessories.
- SEVERAL COLOR OPTIONS AVAILABLE: Want to match your Yakgrips to the color of your kayak? We provide a range of color options for you to choose from so you can do just that! Our color and style options will appeal to women, men, and kids alike. Choose from yellow, pink, red, blue, green, camo, and more.
- Waterproof - Use professional seamless technology. Our dry bag has the overall waterproof capability, making sure to keep your items and valuables dry when you do some water sports like boating and kayaking but not underwater sports
- Durable - Made by 0.02 in (0.6 mm) thick wear-resistant material, suitable for outdoor activities, waterproof bag nicely adapts to all kinds of weather and environment
- Multifunctional - Adjustable Shoulder Straps & Handle for shoulder carrying and backpack, very convenient for different occasions like boating, rafting, kayaking, swimming, mountaineering, etc. The lightweight dry bag won’t aggravate the burden of your arms or shoulder
- Visible - Transparent dry bag, easy to find your items without trouble, you don’t have to rummage through the bag to find your things, and it’s able to read the message on your phone or pad
- 5 Sizes (5L/ 10L/ 20L/ 30L/ 40L) to choose, a right choice for the gift to women and men, each bag comes with a free waterproof cell phone case, bring comprehensive waterproof protection to your water sports