Best Fishing Kayak Under $1000
Fishing along riverbanks and angling off the side of a pier is a pastime that many people enjoy. But, after a while, it can become a little monotonous and you’ll soon get the urge to go further out into the water to see what you can reel in.
However, you may find that your dreams of sitting in the middle of a lake and casting your line are dashed by the sheer expense of a fishing kayak. And, before you know it, you’re back to fishing from the sidelines as you simply can’t justify the cost that comes with getting out into deeper waters.
But, it doesn’t have to be this way! Below, we’ll take a look at the best fishing kayaks under $1000. Each of these is ideal for venturing further into your fishing waters without costing nearly as much as you might think.
You’ll also find our handy buying guide that’s packed with information on what to look out for when it comes to deciding which fishing kayak is the best choice for you.
Best Fishing Kayak Under $1000
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
Let’s get started by taking a look at our top choice – the Intex Excursion Pro Kayak. This kayak is made from super-tough laminate PVC and has a polyester core. This makes it lightweight enough to gently slide into the water, but strong enough to resist abrasion, impact, and sunlight damage. It’s also completely unaffected by oil and saltwater.
It’s an inflatable kayak too, so you don’t have to worry about it taking up space in your home when it’s not in use. The high-pressure spring loaded valves allow for quick inflation and deflation, and it also comes complete with a high-output pump to help inflate it even faster.
This kayak comes with 2 removable skegs that allow you to venture into deeper waters or sit in shallow water as necessary. It also features 2 removable footrests, 2 adjustable bucket seats, and 2 integrated fishing rod holders. So, not only will you be able to get out into deeper waters, but you’ll be comfortable while you wait for a fish to bite!
You’ll also receive 2 86-inch aluminum oars with this kayak, which will help you get to that perfect fishing spot and, most importantly, back to land again. Once you’ve finished with it, you can deflate it and store it in the included carry bag. And, if you ever find it’s suffered from a puncture, you can easily patch it up with the included repair kit.
- Super-tough construction – made from laminate PVC and polyester that is resistant to abrasion, impact, sunlight, oil, and saltwater
- Inflatable – allows for compact storage when not in use, and features high-pressure spring loaded valves for super-fast inflation and deflation
- Can be used in shallow and deep waters – comes with 2 removable skegs that make it easy to maneuver in different depths
- Multiple accessories – included 2 removable footrests, 2 adjustable bucket seats, 2 integrated fishing rod holders, and carry bag
- Oars included – also comes with 2 86-inch oars that make it easier than ever to reach the perfect fishing spot
- 400lb weight limit – may be unsuitable for anybody weighing more than 400lbs, or for two people with a combined weight of over 400lbs
Pelican Sentinel 100X Angler
The Pelican Sentinel 100X Angler is a great choice for a single angler, as it measures 9’6” long and weighs in at only 44lbs. This makes it easy to move into and out of the water without any extra help. Its size and weight also make it really easy to transport and store when it’s not in use.
It is made from patented Ram-X materials to ensure durability. It also features a multi-chine flat bottom hull that adds stability when casting your line and reeling in your catch. Located inside the hull of this kayak, you’ll also find an additional flotation device that adds even more buoyancy.
The built-in seat features an adjustable Ergoform backrest and a seat cushion for ultimate comfort. There is also an adjustable footrest, and multiple storage compartments built right into the kayak itself.
Included with the Sentinel 100X Angler is an ExoPak. This is a removable storage compartment that fits neatly into the tank of the kayak and allows you to pack all of your fishing gear at home and simply drop it into place when you arrive at the water.
- Compact and lightweight – measure 9’6” and weighs just 44lbs for easy storage and transportation
- Durable construction – made from patented Ram-X materials
- Multi-chine flat bottom – ensures stability when casting and reeling in
- Comfortable – features a built-in seat with Ergoform backrest and seat cushion, as well as an adjustable footrest
- Includes an EkoPak – this is a removable storage compartment that fits directly into the kayak’s tank
- Doesn’t include oars – while it’s a great budget choice, you’ll have to factor in the extra cost of buying oars separately
Perception Flash 9.5 Sit-Inside Kayak
Designed for all skill levels, the Perception Flash 9.5 Sit-Inside Kayak is a great choice for anybody that’s new to kayak fishing. It’s equally as good for an experienced kayak-angler who simply wants a great kayak at a low cost.
It features molded-in rod holders that will keep your fishing rod secure for your while your row to your chosen fishing spot. And, once you’ve reached your destination, you can relax in the cushioned seat with its ergonomic seat back while you wait for your catch. It also features adjustable foot braces to add even more comfort.
At the rear of this kayak, you’ll find 10-inches of storage space. This is ideal for holding your fishing gear, bait, and anything else you might need when out on the water. It also features a built-in paddle park, giving you somewhere to safely store your oar when it’s not in use.
This kayak is an excellent choice for a solo-angler, and its 9’5” length and 41lb weight makes it easy to store and transport. It also features a multi-chine flat bottom hull for added stability and, unlike many kayaks, it has a larger weight capacity of 325lbs.
- Designed for all skill levels – this makes it ideal for beginners and experienced kayak-anglers alike
- Molded-in rod holders – help to keep your fishing rod secure while you paddle out
- Ergonomic cushioned seat and adjustable footrests – ensure you’re comfortable while you wait to reel in your catch
- Easy to transport and store – measures 9’5” in length and weighs just 41lbs
- Large weight capacity – can hold up to 325lbs of weight at once
- Open storage – while the 10-inches of storage space is generous, it isn’t covered by anything so your fishing gear could get wet if it starts raining
Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
If you have a fishing buddy and you’re looking for a 2-person kayak that costs less than $1000, the Sevylor Coleman Colorado is an excellent choice. It features two comfortable bucket seats and has a weight capacity of up to 470lbs, along with two adjustable rod holders for easy, hands-free fishing.
This kayak is constructed from 18-gauge PVC and has a 1000D tarpaulin bottom and an 840D nylon cover, so it’s highly durable and suitable for rugged use. This means there’s no need to worry about it getting damaged if the water suddenly becomes unsettled. It’s also inflatable and features double-threaded valves for quick inflation and deflation.
Within the kayak, there are multiple air chambers. This ensures that the kayak stays inflated, even if one of them is punctured, adding to its durability. It also features an Airtight System that is guaranteed not to leak, so you’ll be kept safely on the water at all times.
On the side of the kayak, you’ll find paddle holders that will securely hold your oars in place and out of the way. The Sevylor Coleman Colorado also features D-Rings spaced across it giving you the opportunity to attach external equipment, as well as mesh storage pockets to keep your fishing gear close to hand!
- Suitable for 2 people – features two bucket seats, two adjustable rod holders, and has a maximum weight capacity of 475lbs
- Extremely durable – made from 18-gauge PVC and has a 1000D tarpaulin bottom and an 840D nylon cover
- Inflatable – has double-threaded valves for quick inflation and deflation
- Features multiple air chambers – ensures the kayak stays inflated, even if one gets punctured
- Internal and external storage – keep your fishing gear in the mesh storage pockets, or attach external equipment using the built-in D-Rings
- Doesn’t come with a pump – this means you’ll have to purchase one separately or use one you already own to inflate the kayak
Intex Dakota K2 2-Person Kayak
The Intex Dakota K2 2-Person Kayak is another great choice for two fishing buddies to venture out onto the water together. It has a maximum weight capacity of 400lbs and is surprisingly compact, measuring in at 10’ long. This makes it easy to transport to your fishing spot and store away neatly when it’s not in use.
This kayak is inflatable and is made from heavy-duty, puncture-resistant vinyl. Running throughout the kayak, there are three separate air chambers and an inflatable L-beam. These ensure stability and rigidity and all times. The seats are inflatable and can be removed when needed too, so it’s also a good choice if you wanted to take a solo fishing trip.
There are two removable skegs included with this kayak. The long skeg is ideal for straight-line tracking and deeper waters, while the short skeg is perfect for shallow waters and getting quick, easy turns.
It’s also easy to maneuver in and out of the water thanks to the built-in grab line and carry handles on the front and the back. And, when you’re done fishing, you can quickly deflate it through the Boston valves and store it away neatly in the included carry bag.
- 2-person kayak – has a weight capacity of 400lbs and features two inflatable, removable seats
- Inflatable – made from heavy-duty, puncture-resistant vinyl and easy to inflate and deflate
- Features three air chambers and an inflatable L-beam – these ensure stability and rigidity
- Includes two removable skegs – a long skeg for deep waters and straight-line tracking, and a short skeg for shallow waters and quick turns
- Easy to maneuver – has a built-in grab line and integrated carry handles
- No rod holders or storage – this means you’ll need to keep a hold of your fishing rod at all times, but you could use the included carry bag to hold your fishing gear
By now, you’re probably itching to get out onto the open water and cast your line. But, before you buy the first kayak you come across, it’s important to make sure it is suitable for your individual needs.
Below, we’ll take a look at some of the most important things you need to keep in mind when shopping for a fishing kayak for under $1000. Taking a little extra time to do this will help you find the best choice the first time around.
Inflatable VS. Hard Shell
The first thing you need to think about is whether an inflatable kayak or a hard shell kayak would be the best choice. They are both fantastic options, but each comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s look at inflatable kayaks, first of all. These are much easier to store when not in use as they’ll deflate down and can be kept in a carry case. However, you will have to go through the motions of inflating it every time you want to use it. This isn’t too much of an issue really though, as most inflatable kayaks come with Boston valves that are designed to inflate and deflate the kayak really quickly.
If you feel as though an inflatable kayak would be the best choice for you, next you’ll need to look at the material. The last thing you need is for your kayak to puncture while you’re out on the water, so it needs to be incredibly durable.
Laminate PVC, polyester, vinyl, and tarpaulin are also super-tough materials to look for when choosing an inflatable kayak. You’ll often see a mixture of these materials used at once, which adds to their durability.
Unlike an inflatable kayak, a hard shell kayak will always be ready to go. But, you will need to make sure that you’ve got a good amount of space to store it when it’s not in use. You’ll also need to make sure that you’ve got the correct vehicle storage in place when you’re transporting it to your chosen fishing spot.
One incredibly important thing that many people forget to look out for is the weight limit of a kayak. It needs to be able to hold you and your fishing equipment safely when you’re on the water. Go over the weight limit, and you’ll soon find yourself sinking into the lake!
Weight limit is especially important when it comes to two-person kayaks. Just because there are two seats on offer, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll both be kept afloat if you exceed the weight limit.
As a general rule, it’s always a good idea to look for a kayak with a really high weight limit. For a single angler, look for 275lbs+. If you’re fishing with a buddy, choose a kayak with a weight limit of 400lbs+.
Another thing to consider is the number of different features you’ll be offered from your chosen kayak.
Unlike riverside fishing, you’ll have a limited space to keep your fishing gear, so your kayak will need to offer you a decent amount of storage space. Rod holders are also a great feature to look out for, as you’ll be able to keep your hands free while you wait for a fish to take your bait.
Some kayaks come with removable skegs, too. These give you the ability to maneuver the kayak through different depths of water with more skill, pick up the pace where necessary, and tackle corners with more accuracy.
A kayak with a multi-chine, flat bottom hull is also a great option, as this is designed to add stability while you cast your line. More importantly, it’ll reduce the chances of the kayak rocking so vigorously as you reel your catch in.
Finally, it’s always a good idea to choose a kayak that comes with oars included. You need to be able to get out onto the water after all. And, if you’re on a budget, included oars means that you don’t have to worry about spending any extra money on additional accessories.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a kayak cost?
Kayaks aren’t necessarily as expensive as you think they might be, and there are plenty of fantastic options that come in at under $1000. One of the best is the Intex Excursion Pro Kayak. This kayak is packed with features that won’t only ensure you’re safe on the water but will help make your fishing experience more enjoyable.